PolicyKit-authentication-agents in Fedora

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Wed Apr 21 19:55:11 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 18:05 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> I just imported lxpolkit into CVS, but it's not yet build because I
> don't want to break anything.
>
> We now have 3 PolicyKit-authentication-agents in Fedora:
>       * polkit-gnome
>       * polkit-kde
>       * lxpolkit
>
> As you can see lxpolkit has the shortest name and will therefore be
> chosen by yum if anything requires PolicyKit-authentication-agent (ATM
> system-config-samba and system-config-services).

 Note that another change to how we pick a provider just went in
upstream, and will likely hit rawhide tomorrow sometime:

http://yum.baseurl.org/gitweb?p=yum.git;a=commitdiff;h=00633bee2f6b3987351dd2fef5678f4a481f0057

...as the commit says this is "simple" so we might still not get what
people want¹ but if you do:

yum --installroot=/tmp/dep-test --releasever=12 --enablerepo=rawhide \
  install @base @core icewm² system-config-samba

...you now get polkit-gnome, due to the fact it only has 8 unfilled
requirements and polkit-kde has 10. Dito. notification-daemon vs.
xfce4-notifyd if you "install @base @core gdm".

¹ There are ways to game it, if needed ... but that will likely involve
pain for someone.

² Note that in rawhide gnome-session now requires polkit-gnome
explicitly, so this is mostly irrelevant for the default desktop.

James Antill - james at fedoraproject.org
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/releases
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/whatsnew/3.2.28
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/YumMultipleMachineCaching