Thunderbird bz 579023 still not fixed even though there is an upstream fix available

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 19:06:28 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Christopher Aillon <caillon at redhat.com> wrote:
> But, I'll re-iterate what Jan told you earlier in the thread that we've
> been working on it with upstream and have been for a while, and it's a
> HUGE undertaking.  We've already made significant progress and have
> gotten quite a bit of the changes needed merged upstream already.  See
> moz bug 377319 for the details.

And this is exactly why I personally find its okay to have the
exceptional status of thunderbird packaging.  There's observable
progress towards fixing the problems that requires the exceptional
status.

I also think its perfectly fine for FESCO to review exceptional
situations on a timely basis. Granting exceptions to our packaging
policy shouldn't be done lightly..but it can also be beneficial when
there is recognition that the problem is significant and is going to
take some collaboration between Fedora developers and upstream to
solve.  If there is a demonstrable commitment to untangling the
underlying problem..and there is observable progress..then renewing
exceptional status on review is reasonable to me personally and I
would hope reasonable for FESCO members.

-jef