Is PulseAudio dead?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Aug 3 03:50:14 UTC 2010

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> IMO,  if you want to be a co-maintainer,  you will have to coordinate
> and work with the model preferred by the primary maintainer.   Otherwise
> disputes will make the process worse and not better.

This (or rather, the differences in update conception) is exactly why I
haven't applied for comaintainership of PulseAudio.

I think that this conservative model is really unhelpful as it often lets
bugs linger for ages (backporting is a lot of work, so it's rarely done, and
sometimes it's outright impractical, not to mention that some very
conservative people judge even backporting of non-critical bugfixes to be
inappropriate for an update) and that it's very sad that the Board and FESCo
are now actively pushing for such a bad model as a global Fedora policy,
despite strong evidence that our users do not want this model, and despite
the fact that this makes us lose our niche, compete directly with
distributions we CANNOT compete with (we stand no chance against Ubuntu's
massive marketing machine) and leave users in our current niche out there in
the cold with no way to go. :-(

        Kevin Kofler