git branch help?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Aug 3 04:41:22 UTC 2010

Matt McCutchen wrote:
> Are you comparing git to Mercurial or to a centralized VCS?

Both. Git is just a PITA in its own league, but DVCSes as a whole are a
broken (*) and unhelpful (inherently hard to use) concept.

(*) e.g. because of the strong reliance on hashes, which can make the whole
thing break down in the event of a hash collision, and which make commit IDs
nonsequential and unpredictable

> Some of the complexity is intrinsic to distributed VCS and has to be
> weighed against the significant benefits to people who build custom
> packages, like me.

I don't see how dist-git makes it any easier to build customized packages.
If you really want a local git mirror of a centralized repository, you can
also use git-cvs, git-svn or the like. For SVN, SVK is also a nice solution.

All this dist-git migration has brought us is chaos, a much higher barrier
to entry and much harder work for existing packagers. (And yes, I've also
tried to make these points BEFORE the migration, but nobody listened.)

        Kevin Kofler