The slip down memory lane

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Thu Aug 12 18:51:35 UTC 2010

>>>>> "MM" == Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> writes:

MM> Possibly also stop changing earlier?

Not necessarily.  We should certainly try to get the earth shattering
changes done as early as possible (i.e. soon after branch) but I
recognize that there isn't sufficient developer time available to both
stabilize one release and push all of the new stuff through rawhide at
the same time.

MM> It's hard to test a moving target.

Well, you test what you have at the time.  That may not be what you
could test tomorrow, but the testing is still equally valid.

MM> Would an 8[1] month cycle cause fewer slips per release?  Fewer
MM> bugs?

Well, don't forget that since we aren't freezing rawhide, we essentially
have that long now.  F15 branched, what, a few weeks ago and isn't due
to be out until six months after whenever F14 ends up coming out.

I guess I'm just saying that, if we had the developer time to do it, it
would be super nice if we could get the "pre-F15 rawhide is useless" bit over
and done with by the time F15 branches.  But back in reality, I know
that's a tough thing to ask for.

 - J<