[Test-Announce] Fedora 14 Alpha RC3 Available Now!

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Aug 13 15:57:40 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 16:54:22 +0200,
  Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Chris Adams wrote:
> > Why don't you give the kernel maintainers the same courtesy?
>
> Because LZMA SquashFS is a feature which affects the live images, and almost
> exclusively the live images, and as such the SIGs controlling the live
> images should be the ones making the decision. This means the 4 desktop
> SIGs. (And FWIW, GNOME really needs a community-oriented SIG instead of the
> current "RH Desktop Team == Fedora GNOME maintainers" practice.)

In this case I think waiting is better, even though I proposed the feature.
I was planning on requesting a back port if a patch for it gets accepted
for 2.6.36, but it seems unlikely to happen as the merge window will
be closing shortly.

The issue is that if we apply the patch that was submitted for an earlier
kernel (2.6.33 I think), and it had a problem due to some other change in
the kernel, we don't have a practical way to support it. (While Lougher
was VERY helpful recently with tracking down a squashfs-tools bug, we can't
always count on having a few days of his time to provide us with support.)

I really think the benefits and costs need to be looked at on a case by case
basis and the package maintainers should be the ones making the call.