New bodhi release in production

Ryan Rix ry at n.rix.si
Sat Aug 14 01:14:36 UTC 2010

On Fri 13 August 2010 11:36:09 Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> said:
> > If we really are the only ones true to Fedora's original principles
>
> As I recall, "upstream, upstream, upstream" was one of those principles
> that you are demanding others now break.

And the same policy that YOU (you as in the Board and FESCo, not Chris Adams
in particular) are asking us to break with the updates policy and general
distaste for a fast moving distro.

When it comes down to it, KDE and The Board's Fedora simply don't work
together, and that is basically what Kev is getting so miffed about, as far as
I can tell. Yes, he's loud, yes he's fiery, but damn, at least he cares, and I
don't blame him for caring. He's put a lot of heart and a lot of effort into
Fedora, as has everyone in the KDE SIG, and the entire Project. We could fork,
hell the KDE SIG has talked about it in the past, but it hurts everyone
involved. Everyone.

I've put a lot of thought into simply stepping away from Fedora, at least on
the KDE end of things if these changes go through because, in some ways, the
Board's vision will change things for us, and for me in particular. I joined
Fedora as a distribution whose goals and processes catered towards creating a
KDE environment which simply kicked ass, was always on the edge of what was
available (sometimes in front of it)... Yet even now, we can't keep up with
what (some of) our users want: the latest KDE, on KDE's release day, whether
it's a major release, or a point release. Yes, not every one of our users is
this way, but many are, and many use Fedora for this very reason. How do we
keep everyone happy? If we're a distro pushing the development of open source,
shouldn't we be pushing it towards those types of users? We could make rawhide
usable, but that can stub development of some major features, it's a tough
medium. We could fork Fn+1 even earlier, and make it stabler and have 12
months in Rawhide... There are solutions to our problems, but endless
bickering and "oh you should just leave!"s aren't going to solve anything and
just leave everyone in a pissy and unproductive mood. Personally, it depresses
the hell out of me.

Btw, everyone seems to be acting really unexcellent to each other... I'm not
calling anyone, but both "sides" of this are really getting out of control...
Please keep the mailing list friendly. We don't "have" hall monitors anymore,
but reading this mailing list shouldn't effect my blood pressure as much as it
does.

Ryan "just another POV, back to the shadows" Rix

--
Ryan Rix
== http://rix.si/page/contact/ if you need a word         ==