drop default MTA for Fedora 15

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Tue Aug 24 14:19:30 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 10:09 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 08:58:50AM -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> > Why are you complaining? If your package needs an MTA - put in a Requires!
>
> If we follow the general state of things: "if a package might need
> something, toss it in as a requires!", this will totally defeat the purpose
> of the comps change, since it will get pulled in by something important at
> some point. Rsyslog, for example, can send output via e-mail.
>
> Having a very simple mail-queue-and-relay program as an alternative to
> sendmail seems like a better choice than just ditching it.

My previous objection was based on the precedent it sets. I don't want a
"Desktop" distribution in Fedora. I want a server-usable distribution.
Sure, it's just a dep and one can go install an MTA. But today it's
killing the MTA, tomorrow it's removing something else that's useful on
the server side of things. I want to see that trend stop and reverse.

Jon.