drop default MTA for Fedora 15

pbrobinson at gmail.com pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 16:53:22 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 08:58:50AM -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
>> Why are you complaining? If your package needs an MTA - put in a Requires!
>
> If we follow the general state of things: "if a package might need
> something, toss it in as a requires!", this will totally defeat the purpose
> of the comps change, since it will get pulled in by something important at
> some point. Rsyslog, for example, can send output via e-mail.

yes, but in the case that something needs it such as logwatch it will
automatically install an MTA as part of the dependencies. So just
because its not there by default doesn't mean that it won't
necessarily be installed. It just means that for a minimal install or
possibly a desktop spin if there's not a dependency on it it won't
unnecessarily get installed.

Peter