fedora mission (was Re: systemd and changes)

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Mon Aug 30 19:44:59 UTC 2010

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 15:09:06 -0400
Jon Masters <jonathan at jonmasters.org> wrote:

> > Every update takes for ever because there
> > are so many updates.  Too many to review each one and see what it
> > does, and how to maybe test it and provide feedback.  Updates runs
> > just get pushed off longer and longer so that I have a block of
> > time to A) apply the damn things, and B) spend a few hours
> > recovering from any sort of fallout in my workflow.  If I don't
> > enjoy using the product I'm creating, that doesn't bode well.
>
> Again, I think everything you've said is well said, totally
> appropriate, and I'm grateful that you spoke up and said it. Because
> you are certainly far from being alone.

I have to say the same, even as a developer, I can't have to stop every
day to reboot or fix my machine while I am working on my own project.
That's why I sometimes culpably delay to update my machine, until some
scary security vulnerability appears (and then I have to do the *HUGE*
update that follows).

I am just glad I have a very fast connection at home right now, but if
I had even a normal DSL like I used in my previous life (1/2 Mbit/s
dload) I would have to seriously consider using a different distro for
machines that are not throw-away.

I *love* the cutting edge of Fedora when a *new* release comes out. But
the amount of churn in *stable* releases, (ie gratuitous updates that
do not really fix bugs just add new stuff (and often new bugs)) is a bit
unsettling for people that actually use their computer to do "work", as
opposed to just try out new stuff every 2 days.

Why people that love raw bleeding cutting edge can't simply use
rawhide ? (Or pick the packages they like to test from there ?)

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York