fedora mission (was Re: systemd and changes)

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 19:49:58 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 12:30, seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 12:22 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>
>> The avalanche has already started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote.
>>
>> The changes towards a distribution that attracts people who live in
>> the moment happened a while back, and has been building momentum for
>> quite some time. Trying to erect barriers now is not going to help but
>> make it so nothing exists afterwords. The things that can be done are:
>> A) get out of the way, B) go with the flow, or C) figure out what you
>> can build on top of it.  [I am looking at option C]
>>
>> > We've found our niche, but chasing away our previous niche (and having
>> > less users show up in our tracking mechanism for it)  It's getting to
>> > the point where me, as a long time Fedora developer and sometimes
>> > leader, is not enjoying using Fedora any more.  Every update run can
>>
>> What was our previous niche? That is what people seemed so hard to
>> ever quantify beyond knowing "what it isn't". The people I know who
>> are running Ubuntu now instead of RHL or Fedora are doing it because
>> that distribution 'fills in the blanks' for them that RHL/Fedora never
>> seemed to answer. It has a vision, it has a single voice where they
>> feel it is needed. Fedora has never been that. (heck even RHL was
>> never that as you couldn't get any of the RH developers to agree on
>> much :)).
>>

> I think the RHL niche was:
> 1. reasonably current

actually from our tickets that was "always just behind." :).

> 2. updated to a new release every 6months
> 3. supported for security/errata for 3yrs

That long? It never seemed that long. From my recollection it was
until the next .2 release came out. So 4.2 was EOL'd shortly after
5.2, 5.2 shortly after 6.2, and 6.2 shortly after 7.2. [yes there was
a 7.3 but it wasn't supposed to be there :). ]  This would give us
about 18 months per .2 release.

> 4. free

5. About 1/5th the size of Fedora. Not that being smaller is a bad
thing but it was always a bunch of work to figure out what new stuff
to pull in.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.