fedora mission (was Re: systemd and changes)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Aug 31 05:23:09 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 15:09 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> Instead,
> we have people so opposed to a little sanity and so scared of 6 months
> wait - like anything really matters in that small a timeframe in the
> *real* world

Wow, and everyone gets categorical again. You can disagree with people,
but this is a bit different. Yes, amazingly, things do matter on a six
month timeframe in the 'real world' (whatever that is). Example - I got
a laptop. The graphics on it don't work, except for vesa, which is very
slow (can't play video, and yes, that matters to me) and doesn't run at
native resolution (yes, that matters to me). If Ben doesn't land a fix
for this in Fedora 13's kernel I have to either wait six months to be
able to use my laptop, upgrade it to F14 (which kind of obviates the
point of having a stable release), or run the proprietary driver. None
of these feel like great options.

Just saying, yes, sometimes, it really is reasonable to not want to wait
six months for something to get fixed, and please try to at least
vaguely consider the possibility that your theoretical principles may
not always apply perfectly. Maybe we don't want Fedora to be Rawhide,
but maybe we also don't want it to be a distro where nothing ever gets
updated either...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey