biosdevname hitting rawhide

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Wed Dec 1 03:58:18 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 06:36:17PM -0600, Joe Nall wrote:
> As someone who deals with HP DL580 boxes with 6+ NICs routinely,
> this is good stuff. Deterministic naming of the built in NICs will
> simplify installation instructions for us.

Thanks for the good word!

> Are the internal names going to be lomX or emX?

embedded NICs are emX
Add-in cards are pci<slot>#<port>

in both cases, if the device is an SR-IOV NIC, it will append _<vf> to
the name for each virtual function.

Now, oddly, I don't have a lot of HP gear handy - especially not a
Flex10.  If someone does, I'd love to know how to tell the various
partitions of a Flex10 are on the same port, so we can append
_<flex10-instance> similar to SR-IOV.  I'm asking the same of Broadcom
who just published an update to handle NPAR for their 57712 driver to
netdev over the weekend.

Than

--
Matt Domsch