old_testing_critpath notifications

Nathanael D. Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Wed Dec 1 22:53:44 UTC 2010

On 12/01/2010 03:17 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> I don't really see any reason why *everyone* who's a packager shouldn't
> also have signed up to be a proven tester by now. I'd like to ask if
> anyone has a perception that it's a hard process to get involved in, or
> if they got the impression that they *shouldn't* get engaged in it, or
> something like that. Maybe we can improve the presentation to make it
> clear that this really ought to be a very wide-based process.

Well I never read anything specifically about the requirements, however
based of the name alone, 'proven tester' and relating it to 'proven
packager' I assumed I'd need to be more experienced before I signed up.

Also, I don't find the tools for updates-testing particularly friendly
enough yet. I wrote in a thread awhile ago what I thought could be very
useful to entice people to use updates-testing. I know there are some
tools which together would allow me to do this, however I'm looking for
a very simple, comprehensive tool that shows me what is in updates
testing, what I've installed from there, or create a list of packages
I'm interested in in updates-testing and never show me otherwise etc...

I'm not saying I won't test without it - however I wouldn't be able to
give dedicated time. I test updates I push out, I test updates for bugs
I've filed. Otherwise I don't have time to look at anything else. I
include the thread as reference only. It seemed someone in that thread
did say they were looking at building just such a tool... Anyway. I want
to help out more, but I'm so busy with $realjob that I need a very easy
way to see updates I'm willing to test, pull them back if something goes
wrong, and submit karma quickly from one simple place...

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2010-June/138077.html