old_testing_critpath notifications

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Dec 1 23:06:37 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 15:53 -0700, Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:
> > I don't really see any reason why *everyone* who's a packager shouldn't
> > also have signed up to be a proven tester by now. I'd like to ask if
> > anyone has a perception that it's a hard process to get involved in, or
> > if they got the impression that they *shouldn't* get engaged in it, or
> > something like that. Maybe we can improve the presentation to make it
> > clear that this really ought to be a very wide-based process.
>
> Well I never read anything specifically about the requirements, however
> based of the name alone, 'proven tester' and relating it to 'proven
> packager' I assumed I'd need to be more experienced before I signed up.

Ah. I'm not sure if we can change the name...what might be 'friendlier'?
It's certainly not intended to be as 3l33t as provenpackager.

> Also, I don't find the tools for updates-testing particularly friendly
> enough yet. I wrote in a thread awhile ago what I thought could be very
> useful to entice people to use updates-testing. I know there are some
> tools which together would allow me to do this, however I'm looking for
> a very simple, comprehensive tool that shows me what is in updates
> testing, what I've installed from there, or create a list of packages
> I'm interested in in updates-testing and never show me otherwise etc...

fedora-easy-karma makes it very, very easy. Have you tried it? You just
run it, at a console, and it detects all the packages you have installed
from updates-testing, gives you the description of each, and asks you to
provide feedback for each (or skip). It's really a one-stop. It's
described in the proven tester documentation, but really all you need to
know is 'yum install fedora-easy-karma', 'fedora-easy-karma'. It has a
--critpath-only parameter to show only critpath updates, if you're in a
hurry and just want to provide feedback on the most important updates.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey