Request for comment: Potential change to dist-git branch structure

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Sat Dec 4 10:19:54 UTC 2010

Dne 4.12.2010 06:33, Garrett Holmstrom napsal(a):
> Why tie branch names down to specific releases?  While that scheme makes
> it easy for fedpkg to guess what release to attempt to build against
> when one only cares about one release, it makes little sense to call a
> branch "f14-rh123456" when in reality that branch will merge into "f13"
> as well as "f14".

+1 Why not just get out of all this silly business and leave branches to
be whatever we want them to be as God^H^H^HLinus intended them to be?
Really, branch rhbz1234567 doesn't have to have any relation to any
particular distribution (we usually don't clone Fedora bugs to all
distros where they happen, and that's The Right Thing).

Related issue I have with the Fedora git repositories is that one cannot
remove any branch once it is created. After I have created in bitlbee
repo two topic branches, only to find out that I cannot remove them
after the merge. I can understand need for documenting development of
the distribution, but cannot we lock just SOME branches (probably master
+ f* ones)? In this situation, I have moved my topical branches to
gitorious, where I can do whatever I want to do with them.

Best,

Matěj