Request for comment: Potential change to dist-git branch structure

Kalev Lember kalev at smartlink.ee
Sat Dec 4 10:31:44 UTC 2010

On 12/04/2010 12:19 PM, Matej Cepl wrote:
> Related issue I have with the Fedora git repositories is that one cannot
> remove any branch once it is created. After I have created in bitlbee
> repo two topic branches, only to find out that I cannot remove them
> after the merge. I can understand need for documenting development of
> the distribution, but cannot we lock just SOME branches (probably master
> + f* ones)? In this situation, I have moved my topical branches to
> gitorious, where I can do whatever I want to do with them.

I think it makes sense to disallow removing official branches (f13, f14,
master) to make sure people don't change the history of branches which
are used for release builds.

On the other hand, for topic branches and personal branches I would very
much like to be able to do non fast-forward pushes and to be able to
delete them. With git it's common to create branches for preparing a
feature and merge them into the official branch once the feature is
ready. Allowing non fast-forward pushes in unofficial branches would
make it much easier to prepare a perfect history before merging it into
the official branches.

--
Regards,
Kalev