Request for comment: Potential change to dist-git branch structure

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Dec 6 20:17:13 UTC 2010

On 12/04/2010 02:31 AM, Kalev Lember wrote:
> On 12/04/2010 12:19 PM, Matej Cepl wrote:
>> Related issue I have with the Fedora git repositories is that one cannot
>> remove any branch once it is created. After I have created in bitlbee
>> repo two topic branches, only to find out that I cannot remove them
>> after the merge. I can understand need for documenting development of
>> the distribution, but cannot we lock just SOME branches (probably master
>> + f* ones)? In this situation, I have moved my topical branches to
>> gitorious, where I can do whatever I want to do with them.
>
> I think it makes sense to disallow removing official branches (f13, f14,
> master) to make sure people don't change the history of branches which
> are used for release builds.

There is no current restrictions on where "released builds" come from in
dist-git, particularly when there is a need from the likes of kernel and
KDE folks to do "official" builds from a user created branch (kernel and
KDE rebases can take a while and in the mean time they may need to issue
important updates of the current version of stuff)

> On the other hand, for topic branches and personal branches I would very
> much like to be able to do non fast-forward pushes and to be able to
> delete them. With git it's common to create branches for preparing a
> feature and merge them into the official branch once the feature is
> ready. Allowing non fast-forward pushes in unofficial branches would
> make it much easier to prepare a perfect history before merging it into
> the official branches.

I think it's best to do that kind of work in a separate repo, and not as
a in-repo branch of the main upstream repo.  That's largely how the
kernel works, which is kinda the big example of git usage.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!