Is there any value to per-Fedora branch ACLs?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 00:44:56 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 10:20:28AM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> While I'm looking into the git setup and ACLs and all this, I have a
> question.
>
> Is anybody seeing any real value of having different commit ACLs per
> Fedora branch?  I've seen some argument for EPEL vs Fedora, but is there
> real value in ACLs for f13, f14, devel, etc...?

Somethng I jsut thought of is whether package maintainers can create new
branches in git by themselves.  If the answer is still no, then we'd
probably want to keep that information in pkgdb.  If the answer is yes, then
there's already the chance htat the branches could get out of sync.

Another couple of issues are:

1) Statistics.  People like to get statistics relating to packages in
a release from pkgdb.  We'd need to switch these around to somehow extract
the information from git.
2) Bodhi work on a per-branch level.  Storing critpath information in pkgdb
pretty much means that we have to keep separate records for separate
releases.

So.... although I'd like to simplify things, it seems like there's lots of
work to implement this but not a whole lot of benefit (other than making
things less complex).

-Toshio