Is there any value to per-Fedora branch ACLs?

Michael J Gruber mjg at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 8 08:32:51 UTC 2010

Toshio Kuratomi venit, vidit, dixit 08.12.2010 01:44:
> On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 10:20:28AM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> While I'm looking into the git setup and ACLs and all this, I have a
>> question.
>>
>> Is anybody seeing any real value of having different commit ACLs per
>> Fedora branch?  I've seen some argument for EPEL vs Fedora, but is there
>> real value in ACLs for f13, f14, devel, etc...?
>>
> Somethng I jsut thought of is whether package maintainers can create new
> branches in git by themselves.  If the answer is still no, then we'd
> probably want to keep that information in pkgdb.  If the answer is yes, then
> there's already the chance htat the branches could get out of sync.
>
> Another couple of issues are:
>
> 1) Statistics.  People like to get statistics relating to packages in
> a release from pkgdb.  We'd need to switch these around to somehow extract
> the information from git.
> 2) Bodhi work on a per-branch level.  Storing critpath information in pkgdb
> pretty much means that we have to keep separate records for separate
> releases.
>
> So.... although I'd like to simplify things, it seems like there's lots of
> work to implement this but not a whole lot of benefit (other than making
> things less complex).

Well, I currently have an issue where unretiring a package lead to some
weird problems for some branches, see:

https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/4290#preview

pkgdb would let me take over the f13 branch from orphan, but not f14 nor
master (which ahd been created automatically, probably during dist-git
conversion). Since they've been set up via SCM request, I am able to
push to git but not "fedpkg build" on master. (I can push to all
branches haven't tried "fedpkg build" on them since I'm supposed to
build master first.)

It seems to me that at least the fact I was able to take over f13 from
orphan but not the others is related to per-branch ACLs. But what do I
know ;)

Michael