Vacation/devaway system

Stanislav Ochotnicky sochotnicky at redhat.com
Wed Dec 8 15:07:51 UTC 2010

Hi,

there have been quite a few unresponsive maintainers processes in past
few months + there are people that don't respond to emails in timely
fashion.

I'd like to have a system where anyone can see which maintainers are not
available at the moment and approximate time of return to "normal". It
would serve several purposes:
 1. co-maintainers won't wait for main maintainer to fix something
 2. when high-priority problems arise provenpackages can act
    immediately instead of waiting for non-responsive maintainer to not
    respond
 3. This could serve as a factor in speeding up non-responsive
    maintainer process. For example developer has no away status, but
    hasn't responded to emails in ~ 2 weeks => gone (numbers just an
    example)
 4. Probably a few more...

I know we have [1], but as you can see, there are 4 people listed on
that page. That leads me to believe two things:
 1. Most people don't know the page exists (I didn't until tibbs
    pointed it out to me)
 2. It's cumbersome to edit wiki for things like this

Obviously not every fedora maintainer has shell account so exact replica
of [2] wouldn't work, but I was thinking some nicer interface could be
provided. Maybe simple email with special subject line:
> FAS-name - $messsage

And then
> FAS-name - RE

to a special mailing list that would be processed by a bot? Or any other
alternative, just something simple that (most) people would use. I'd
even volunteer to create an app that would sit in the tray if it got
people to actually announce when they go away for longer than a weekend...

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Vacation
[2] http://dev.gentoo.org/devaway/
--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>