[Guidelines Change] Changes to the Packaging Guidelines

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Dec 10 06:13:58 UTC 2010

On 12/10/2010 07:03 AM, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 1:43 PM, Ville Skyttä wrote:
>> On Thursday 09 December 2010, Tom Callaway wrote:
>>
>>> The guidelines have been updated to indicate that %doc files must not
>>> have executable permissions.
>>
>> Why?  If they (example scripts etc) don't add any dependencies that aren't
>> already in the package's dependency chain, what is the problem solved by this
>> guideline, and how do you propose handling these files instead?
>>

> Wouldn't it be better if this issue is solved on the rpmbuild side
> instead of putting it as extra work on packagers?

IMO, yes.

> rpmbuild can call either chmod -x on the %doc files at the end;  or if
> the problem is just the dependencies added by executable %doc files,
> then rpmbuild can be taught to not scan the %doc files for generating
> dependencies. If no, why not?

Agreed, something along these lines would be superior.

It also would help another issue: Packages would "automatically be
fixed" when they will be rebuilt.

Now, if Spot is consequent, he will have to enforce this guideline
explictly and manually [1]

Ralf

[1] According to a check, I performed last Monday, 272 packages
(src.rpms) in rawhide are affected.