[Guidelines Change] Changes to the Packaging Guidelines

Mamoru Tasaka mtasaka at ioa.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Fri Dec 10 11:40:23 UTC 2010

Thomas Moschny wrote, at 12/10/2010 08:19 PM +9:00:
> That seems by far the cleanest solution to me. Especially
> development-oriented packages often contain example directories;
> removing x-bits there only puts extra-burden on someone trying to play
> with the examples.

Indeed some examples/ directory contains some executable scripts
which are useful to understand what the package can do.
I think "%doc files must not have executable permissions" must be
reverted.

> On a related note, rpmlint also warns (don't know if we have a
> corresponding guideline) about empty files, even when in %doc, but in
> some cases these might indeed be wanted.

Exactly. Removing empty files sometimes causes unexpected failures
so if there is some reason this rpmlint can simply be ignored.

> Thomas

Regards,
Mamoru