ABRT opt-out (was Re: Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo meeting)

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Mon Dec 13 12:19:05 UTC 2010

On Saturday, December 11, 2010 12:42:00 pm Jiri Moskovcak wrote:
> On 12/11/2010 02:55 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > drago01 wrote:
> >> Well ABRT should stop filing bugs in bugzilla, it does not scale PERIOD.
> >
> > IMHO it should file bugs in the upstream bug tracker (even if that
> > tracker is not Bugzilla, so it'd have to learn as many different bug
> > tracker APIs as possible).
> >
> > Gnash upstream actually MIGHT be able to do something about the bazillion
> > crashes in their software. I definitely can't.
> >
> >          Kevin Kofler
>
> This is not a first time when in see this idea and was already answered
> - we're the distro and we're responsible for the packages, filling all
> bugs to the upstream will make more harm then good - e.g. crash caused
> by our patch or by some library which has different upstream or the bug
> is already fixed in the new upstream version which is not updated in our
> repositories... and these problems are for maintainers to decide before
> they forward the ticket to the upstream...

Some intermediate layer? It has to be easy to transfer bug to upstream or to our
bugzilla.

99% of bugreports should go upstream but we still need some overview - it's bad
to close eyes and say nothing crashes and if, it's somewhere in upstream.
Sometimes even you can't be sure it's upstream or downstram problem.

R.

--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>

Office: +420 532 294 275