Adding packages to buildroot directly from updates-testing

Stanislav Ochotnicky sochotnicky at redhat.com
Thu Dec 16 15:55:16 UTC 2010

On 12/16/2010 04:42 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-12-16 at 09:26 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
>
>>> Any opinions on this?
>>
>> While I see some value in this, poisoning the buildroot is a grave danger
>> here. I'd be hesitant to endorse it.
>>
>> Is this proposal based on any real examples of updates-testing pkgs breaking
>> builds?  Perhaps we could study these cases closer first.
>
> I believe the Rawhide system of using a tag to test a set of dependent
> builds can also be used for stable release updates, no? If not, that
> seems a better solution than putting things straight into buildroot.

Yes of course releng ticket can be filed and package can be added to
override. But why do it? I'd say as soon as package is filed for
addition to stable Fedora it should be suitable for buildroot as well.
If it isn't something is wrong and we need to fix it anyway. It's
definitely better if we screw up buildroot than if we screw up user's
system. Only thing we accomplish by delaying adding to buildroot is
delay when we notice problems.

Note that I am not saying things should go into buildroot as soon as
they are built, but as soon as they are in updates-testing. There is a
difference. There will still be reasons to use tags/overrides.

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>

PGP: 71A1677C