Adding packages to buildroot directly from updates-testing

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Dec 16 16:28:16 UTC 2010

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 10:03:30 -0600
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:

> Once upon a time, Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com> said:
> > Note that I am not saying things should go into buildroot as soon as
> > they are built, but as soon as they are in updates-testing. There
> > is a difference. There will still be reasons to use tags/overrides.
>
> That makes the push process much more fragile/difficult.  If you use a
> updates-testing build of package A, and package B (that depends on
> package A) gets rebuilt, then you may have a package B that can't be
> pushed to stable until package A gets pushed.  What if there's a
> security update on package B that needs to go to stable ASAP?

Additionally, what if package A is built, after a few days serious
problems are found in it and it's deleted until the maintainer can sort
them out. What happens to packages B, C, D, and E that built against
this version? They will have broken deps.

I don't think this is worth even looking at until we have an AutoQA
broken dep test live.

kevin