Adding packages to buildroot directly from updates-testing

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Thu Dec 16 20:22:22 UTC 2010

> On 12/16/10 10:29 AM, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> > (BTW, it seems that a custom tag would generally be better than a
> > buildroot override for the reasons we are discussing even if there's
> > only one dependent package, unless that would put some kind of strain on
> > the infrastructure.  Is a request for a custom tag more work than a
> > buildroot override request for the releng team?)
> >

> A custom tag would slow things down considerably.  When doing a
> buildroot override, the newRepo task can take the pre-existing repodata
> into account when calling createrepo and be done fairly quickly (a few
> minutes of actual createrepo time).  A new custom tag would require
> creating fresh repodata from scratch which can take an hour or more of
> actual createrepo time.

I assume you're referring to "createrepo --update"?  How hard would it
be to seed the new tag with the repodata of one of the tags it inherits?

An alternative approach would be to mirror the semantics of tag
inheritance by having builds use multiple yum repositories, possibly
with priorities, instead of explicitly computing the resulting repodata
for every tag.  Would that be feasible?

--
Matt