Adding packages to buildroot directly from updates-testing

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Fri Dec 17 18:30:11 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 11:08 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Lets step back a bit here as I think this thread is drifting.
>
> What issue(s) is this proposed change trying to solve?
>
> * The OP talked about that we are not 'testing' the update entirely
>   because it's not in the buildroot, so we aren't confirming that it
>   works to build against.
>
> * Other folks mentioned delays in rel-eng buildroot override
>   processing?
>
> Any other benefits to this change?
>
> For the first point I agree that we aren't testing it for building
> against (if it's not in buildroot override), but I think there is still
> testing going on. Other folks who build vs fedora can and do build
> against the testing repo. So, not sure I find this compelling.

Examples?  How likely are they to catch bugs that would affect Fedora's
own dependent packages?

I think the best solution would be to use custom tags routinely and let
all packagers create their own tags, assuming the infrastructure issues
can be solved to make that practical.  Packagers could build against
dist-fN-updates or other users' custom tags as desired.  There should be
a way to get a list of all active custom tags relevant to one's build.

--
Matt