Broken dependency for RHEL6

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Tue Dec 21 06:26:13 UTC 2010

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:
>> I think Requires(hint) should have this function, but in fact it enforces
>> the same way as just an ordinary Requires.
>
> RPM (at least rpm.org RPM, which we use; I have no idea about what rpm5.org
> does) doesn't actually support Requires(hint). It just treats this as a
> regular Requires, and future versions are likely to error entirely when they
> see it.

More precisely, there's an ancient flaw in the spec parser which allows
unknown dependency qualifiers to slip through in some situations.
Requires(hint) is just as meaningful to rpm as Requires(iwantmypony),
literally, and both will report an error in some combinations of
and on others (such as when they're the only qualifier) it'll
slip through and end up treated as regular requires.

And future versions WILL error out on them.

 	- Panu -