[packager interface suggestion] Adding packages to buildroot directly from updates-testing

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Tue Dec 21 16:24:29 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 16:15 +0000, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-12-20 at 22:57 +0100, Henrik Nordström wrote:
>
> > * implemented by "only" a change in yum dependency resolution to use
> > fallback repositories (i.e. updates-testing).
>
> I don't think that would be a good change, as it's changing the generic
> functionality of a tool for one specific use case: our build system.

The change could be in a yum plugin that is only enabled by koji.  No
big deal.

> it would seem to make more sense, to me, to configure bodhi to re-try
> the build, with updates-testing repo enabled, if a buildrequires for a
> build that's been submitted to updates-testing cannot be satisfied in
> the initial run. i.e., implement the use of the fallback repo in bodhi,
> not in yum.

How would that work?  I thought a build had to be completed before it
could be added to a bodhi update.  And maintainers might wish to test a
package against dependencies in updates-testing without being ready to
push the new package to updates-testing.  Not to mention that bodhi has
to figure out whether a given failure was due to a missing
BuildRequires.

--
Matt