[packager interface suggestion] Adding packages to buildroot directly from updates-testing

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Dec 23 17:16:48 UTC 2010

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 01:31:18 +0100
Henrik Nordström <henrik at henriknordstrom.net> wrote:

> tis 2010-12-21 klockan 09:50 -0700 skrev Kevin Fenzi:
>
> > Basically it's changing spec files BuildRequires to suit our build
> > setup and not for 'the version this package needs to build'.
>
> True. And it's use should be limited to the release branches of a
> package, not master/rawhide.

Which would make it even more confusing and also cause divergence
between branches, which some maintainers dislike, or adding
conditionals.

> Imho it adds value in the stable branch, as any lower version than
> indicated is not aceptabe for packaging in that branch.

Yes, but thats just for our internal use, right?
People who take our src.rpm and try and rebuild for rhel or somewhere
else will get confused by it.

> Or if you want to go fancy about it then use
> %if 0%{fedora} = 14
> BuildRequires: foo-devel >= 1.1.0
> %else
> BuildRequires: foo-devel
> %endif

Which just looks weird and adds complexity. ;)

> > This way you can add your override and use it to build what you
> > want, but you will be nagged every day to check and remove the
> > override if you no longer need it.
>
> The main thing I have against overrides is that they affect a lot more
> than just a single build.

Sure, they affect anything that pulls them into the buildroot. However,
if you are building package B which requires package A, you may well
want anything else that uses A to also use the new version.

kevin