Board efforts: scope, concept, and permission?

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 17:41:34 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, inode0 wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
>> > And to answer your question about what "isnt' broken".  I suggest you look
>> > at our http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics page.  We've only seen
>> > growth in 2 of our last 6 releases.  Think about that.
>>
>> While I don't see that as directly relating to the mission of the
>> Fedora Project I understand it is important to many people and I
>> understand there is an indirect link with the mission. But what
>> indicates that is a problem with the distribution as opposed to a
>> marketing problem?
>>

> This is the fundamental difference between the two of us I think.  I'm
> asking the questions[1] and trying to find the answers.  You seem to think
> we don't need to ask the questions.  That's why "does X cause Y" is a good
> question while "Isn't it great how?" isn't.

If I seem to think we don't need to ask questions why did I just ask
one that you are going to answer later?

The question I asked curiously is really of the "does X cause Y"
variety. Restated it is does the state of the OS cause the lack of
growth you cite? Or another way does the marketing effort cause the
lack of growth you cite?

> This particular question has already been answered, I've not yet put it on
> the wiki yet.  The notes from our last meeting yesterday hasn't gone to
> the list, I'll update the wiki today though.
>
>        -Mike
>
> [1]  I'm asking these questions because I'm not happy with the state of
> our operating system.  It's almost the entire reason I ran for the board.

Good for you. The rest of us get to ask questions too.

John