Board efforts: scope, concept, and permission?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 00:21:56 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 04:42:28PM -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:

> This is an excellent example.  Ford has several audiences and several
> products.  Now, imagine a world where Ford is forced to only produce one
> product.  That's the world we're in right now.  Lots of different people,
> lots of different needs yet we pretend we can produce something for all of
> them.

Bullshit.  Each of the SIGs is producing different products.  They pull from
the same resources but they produce different things.  Just look at the
KDE SIG's spin vs the desktop spin vs the Electronics Lab Spin vs the Games
spin.

* A user who downloads any one of these products gets a different experience
  than someone who downloads one of the others.
* Switching from one product to another is not an easy task of merely
  installing one package group and removing another.  You have to know what
  packages to install and what packages to uninstall and sometimes you also
  need to know what configuration switches to hit.
* Each of these products has a different target audience and a different
  use.
* The major packages that each of these products is showcasing up front is
  different as well.  Even if a minivan and a pickup truck have the same
  engine, drivetrain, and transmission under the hood they're still
  different products.

-Toshio