Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Fri Feb 26 14:04:04 UTC 2010

On Friday 26 February 2010 14:32:16 Marcela Maslanova wrote:
> ----- "Josh Boyer" <jwboyer at gmail.com> wrote:

> > reasons

> > >My packages are rarely tested and I forget them in testing phase for

> > >long time. Also fixing BR don't need testing. I simply need push
> > >immediately the new/fixed package.
> >
> > If nobody is testing your packages sitting in updates-testing, then
> > maybe the
> > users of that package aren't hitting whatever you're fixing or aren't
> > otherwise
> > having other issues.  What is the benefit of pushing an update if
> > nobody cares?
>
> They don't care about bodhi and probably they don't know about it.

Good point - it's useless to have package sitting in updates-testing if there
are no users to test it because they usually don't know that we have Bodhi.
Maybe some package rating included in PackageKit would be nice - for stable
packages it's indicator that this package is worth to install, for testing
package it would mean it's working (but again - who's going to rate it in
pkgkit once installed).

I think it's still worth to go through updates-testing with exceptions (eg 95%
testing). And yes - lot of issues could be solved with auto QA.

At least I try to test packages in updates-testing on my other systems
(running different Fedora versions). And thanks to scripts finding my f*kups
like broken deps.

Jaroslav
--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>