Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Feb 26 15:07:58 UTC 2010

Josh Boyer wrote:
> Nobody said disallow direct-to-stable pushes completely, entirely, with no
> exceptions.  That would indeed be absurd.

But the proposed exception procedures which were floated were so burdensome
and slow that they made the entire exception procedure effectively useless.
For example: Calling an emergency FESCo meeting? Yeah sure! It's faster to
just wait for a push and queue for stable then. And in practice nobody will
want to bother FESCo just to get his trivial bugfix out faster. So it's as
if the exception procedure didn't exist at all.

For an exception procedure to be effective, it needs to be possible for one
person out of a group of several people to ACK a push. (rel-eng would be a
good candidate, they already do very similar tasks. Or possibly the union of
rel-eng and QA, as for the freeze overrides for critical path packages. Or
even FESCo as long as 1 FESCo member is enough to approve it, not a vote.
And no, I wouldn't blanket-approve everything as I have been accused of in
the meeting, please quit the paranoia!)

        Kevin Kofler