Till Maas opensource at till.name
Fri Feb 26 16:46:25 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 10:20:00AM -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> While people using Fedora may want the latest stuff, I doubt that most of
> them care about time scales less than a month (I assume I am an exception)
> unless there is a bug they care about. In which case they can use the bug
> report as a way to find an update more promptly.

Imho this also depends on the upstream of the package. E.g. for too
complex packages like KDE, that also get rewritten with previous
features removed, the new releases are not necessarily good, e.g. basic
features like printing or encrypted instant messaging does not work
reliable. But there are also smaller projects that usually only improve
with each release. Then it is very frustrating to hit a bug only to find
out that it is fixed in a newer upstream release. And even more
frustrating is to find out, that the bug is fixed in upstream SCM, but
there is no new release including the fix.

> I think Fedora would be helped by an increase in the quality of packages
> that are in stable more than shaving a week or so off when normal updates make
> it into stable.

If upstream already creates high quality releases, then it is usually
best to follow upstream closely to avoid that Fedora users even hit bugs
that are already fixed.

Regards
Till