Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sat Feb 27 13:26:10 UTC 2010

On Saturday 27 February 2010, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Rakesh Pandit wrote:
> > About new package point, what about the negative impact of newly
> > pushed package on distribution as a whole if it breaks to launch or
> > crashes in some event(produced in some essential functionality) and
> > was missed by packager/reviewer (2 people) ?
>
> It won't automatically break anybody's existing system. It may break things
> for people installing it, but those people are installing the package for a
> reason, [...]

That "reason" could be a bad Obsoletes in the new package.  And even the new
Name and Provides from the new package may result in it being pulled in along
with other updates to satisfy dependencies without being explicitly asked for.
When either of these happens, it in my opinion qualifies as the new package
being installed automatically, and because there are several ways new
installed packages can break existing systems, the combined results is that it
is very much possible for newly introduced packages to "automatically break
existing systems".