Orphaning Candidate packages for removal due to FTBFS, implications

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Sun Jan 17 07:26:06 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 05:10:17PM -0600, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 12:47:35AM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> > Bad idea (says someone who owns 150 packages). I don't feel like
> > getting 150 bugzilla mails and having to (mass) close them each
> > release.
>
> OK; add a fedora-packager script that mass-closes bugs; or use the
> bugzilla web interface to select all bugs owned by you also blocking
> the blocker bug, and apply the same change to them all; again in one
> fell swoop.  This is solvable.  This may still not be the "best"
> approach, but it is possible and doesn't have to be onerous.

We could also include a cron script, that does it all twice a year. ;-)
There are already afaik three such timeouts that hit maintainers, can't
we use this data? One is asked to change the password in FAS and
bugzilla regularly and the client certificate to create builds and
upload to the lookaside cache expire every 6 months iirc.

Imho the solution to detect whether a package is still maintained should
support maintainers as much as much is possible and not just be created
in a way that's easy to implement, but highly annoying to maintainers.

Regards
Till