ABRT frustrating for users and developers

Jan Kratochvil jan.kratochvil at redhat.com
Mon Jan 18 10:17:14 UTC 2010

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 09:18:11 +0100, Jiri Moskovcak wrote:
> On 01/17/2010 05:57 PM, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> >      5. Instead of hashes the missing debuginfo packages should be
> >         listed with n-v-r, so people can install them manually.
>
> This could be a problem. ABRT determines the required debuginfo
> package using build_id. It calls yum --enablerepo=*debuginfo*
> --quiet provides /usr/lib/debug/.build-id/bb/11528d59940983f495e9cb099cafb0cb206051.debug
> and I don't know any other way how to map build_id to package name
> if yum fails.

yum fails commonly because rpm knows about build-id hashes only in the
debuginfo.rpm archives (not the main .rpm archive). And debuginfo.rpm exists
in repositories only for the single latest release (this is a distro bug!).

Therefore if the crashed program has been updated in repositories since it
started there is no way to map build-id -> nvr.

There should exist Fedora global database simply mapping all build-id -> nvr
pair even for old packages.  Such server should be simple/small/cheap.

Currently ABRT can at least run `rpm -qf MAIN_EXECUTABLE
ALL_GDB_INFO_SHARED_DISPLAYED LIBRARIES FILENAMES' and report these nvrs in
the Bugzilla bugreport before such build-id -> nvr server is deployed.

Regards,
Jan