best practice for packing programs that use strlcpy()?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Jan 29 17:09:27 UTC 2010

Eric Smith wrote:
> What is considered the best practice for packaging a program that uses
> strlcpy()?
> Is there a Fedora library that provides strlcpy() and friends?
> Should I add an implmentation of strlcpy() to the package as an
> additional source or patch?
> Should I modify the program to not need strlcpy()?  (I really don't like
> this idea.)

You're the victim of a longstanding feud between people who think strlcpy
and friends are essential for security (including the OpenBSD community, who
invented them, and several application developers) and those who think
they're just useless nonstandard functions (including Ulrich Drepper, the
glibc maintainer), with no resolution in sight, unfortunately. :-(

Well, technically:
> Is there a Fedora library that provides strlcpy() and friends?
libkdefakes.so.5 provides strlcat and strlcpy, but as that's part of kdelibs
it's probably not the answer you were looking for. ;-)

libbsd sounds like a decent solution, probably the best you'll get due to
the conflict cited above.

        Kevin Kofler