concept of package "ownership"

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Jul 2 06:04:53 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 23:28 -0500, Adam Miller wrote:
> I don't think it really matters what we call it, I just think that
> package maintainers are starting to get a sense of entitlement and I
> feel that's counter productive to the open environment we're used to
> and are trying to help continue to grow.

Absolutely. I've often commented on this problem -- we really don't want
package maintainers to throw their toys out of the pram when someone
touches "their" package; this is a collaborative effort.

In the old days of RHL and beehive, I think we had it about right...
with the obvious exception that it was Red Hat only, but the attitude to
packaging was right, IMHO. There _was_ someone who knew most about a
package and was expected to deal with it most of the time, but it was
also perfectly reasonable for other people to work on the packages too.

Fedora seems to have regressed a lot in that respect, although it did
improve after we started approving ProvenPackagers.

David.Woodhouse at intel.com                              Intel Corporation