Naming issue for meego 1.0 related packages

Michel Alexandre Salim michael.silvanus at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 11:52:15 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Chen Lei <supercyper1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/7/10 pbrobinson at gmail.com <pbrobinson at gmail.com>:
>> Yes, but most of the Netbook side of things are from Moblin. Also if
>> you look at a lot of the clutter/mx and other stuff they now do make
>> tarballs and in some cases only in the last weeks. Don't rule it out.
>> After all they cut tar files for the rpms, all they have to do it
>> publish them separately. In the Moblin case it was just resources that
>> stopped them originally and they eventually started to do it.
>>
> Historically, moblin VCS have the function of making tarballs
> automatically, but they don't publish them to some other places for
> downloading. Meego moved all those packages to gitorious now, it seems
> like gitorious don't have the same function, so I think we can hardly
> assume meego will publish all tarballs soon based on the fact that a
> few widely-used packages(e.g. clutter mx qt pyside) in gitorious
> release tarballs publicly now. By the way, those well-known packages
> don't belong to meego project now, they all have seperate website.
> Except there's a change in the infrastructure of gitorious, I think
> using tarballs from upstream's SRPM is a better choice than pulling
> source from git repo directly.

I experienced this recently with another project (openSUSE's build
service client) -- GitHub lets you download a project's tagged
snapshots as tarballs, but Gitorious does not have this functionality.

I'll have to agree with Chen Lei here. It would be much easier to
upstream bug reports -- so people running MeeGo can easily verify them
-- if the same tarball is used to build the software in the first
place.

Best regards,

--
Michel Alexandre Salim