[HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

Alexander Boström abo at root.snowtree.se
Thu Jul 15 15:41:40 UTC 2010

tor 2010-07-15 klockan 16:59 +0200 skrev Lennart Poettering:

> If I added inittab parsing support even when keeping "native breaks
> legacy" around, then inittab would matter only if the default.target
> symlink doesn't exist.

Yeah, when saying "keep compat" you have to define exactly how to do
that, which isn't always easy. I myself have written kickstart scripts
that would need to be changed to deal with this but it's really rather
trivial and I don't have any good alternative suggestion.

But I do think the %postinstall script, if it's an install and not an
update, should check the contents of inittab and set the symlink
accordingly. Otherwise an upgrade to a new release might make the system
start X when it didn't do that before, which would be bad.

/Alexander