source url when upstream disappears (geocities)

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 17:32:49 UTC 2010

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 10:41:42 -0600, Kevin wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 12:09:01 +1000
> David Timms wrote:
>
> ...snip...
>
> > Should I update the URL ?

No. Drop it if it gives 404 Not Found.

> > I was thinking to comment the original URL & Source indicating the
> > original site, but then change the tagged lines to the oocities
> > versions.
>
> I would think it would be fine to add a note to the spec with the orig
> link and change them to the new oocities one. Makes sure the Source
> link downloads the same thing that you are using (same md5sum).
>
> You should be able to see if the source changes by md5sum I would think?
> Just like any other site that might be tampered with...

The md5sum is not specified in the spec file.
However, the tarball is included with the spec file in the src.rpm
already. The oocities site is no replacement for the project's web page.
It's just some independent sort of archive. You don't want anyone,
who finds your spec file (or a copy of it) somewhere on the Internet,
to download from the place that is not the software project's home page.