[HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

Mike Christie mchristi at redhat.com
Mon Jul 19 16:44:06 UTC 2010

On 07/19/2010 11:14 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Mon, 19.07.10 11:15, Mike Christie (mchristi at redhat.com) wrote:
>

>> On 07/14/2010 10:43 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>>> 3) You check mtab to figure out whether the rootdir is on iscsi. That
>>> cannot work, as mtab is not really updated anyway, and if at all you
>>> should look in /proc/mounts, but this won't really give your the
>>> information either. The proper way to handle this in systemd is to start
>>> iscsid if an iscsi block device appears.
>>
>> We cannot do this, because iscsid is needed to find the iscsi device.
>> The iscsid daemon and the kernel modules work together to implement the
>> iscsi protocol. Basically, to do discovery and log into disks, iscsid
>> will send/recv iscsi packets through the iscsi kernel modules. iscsid
>> then parses the packets and does things like CHAP and the iscsi
>> parameter negotiation.
>
> But if that's the case, why do you believe you gain anything by checking
> whether the root directory is on iscsi?

For root on iscsi we always need it on.

I think the problem was that the iscsid service was on by default, so
when things like libvirt install it iscsid would always start but many
times not be needed.

In F-14, can we change the default from being on to off then just have
the users set it to be started if they want it? For root though, then
would the installer set it to be on for the user.