[HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Jul 21 18:45:58 UTC 2010

Once upon a time, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com> said:
> Regular desktop end user wont notice any other change other than perhaps
> faster bootup and the people that call themselves "power/advanced/admin"
> users should have no problem to adapt and are urged from the start to

Please remember that Fedora is not just about desktop end users, or even
users at all in some cases.  There are years of scripts, documentation,
etc. that use chkconfig and service, and breaking them will be a PITA.

> For god sakes people alpha aint even out the door yet!

Well, the last time I waited (or didn't notice) a big change until after
it was released, I got the "why didn't you say something while this was
in development" response.

I just want to see changes in a backwards-compatible way whenever it is
practical.  I understand that that is not always the case, but I don't
see anything here that indicates systemd and the long-standing
chkconfig/service interfaces can't continue to work.  IMHO the onus is
on the systemd developers to make it backwards compatible where
practical, as they are the group that (a) are advocating a major change
and (b) know how systemd (and presumably the current init system) works.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>