[HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Fri Jul 23 18:01:25 UTC 2010

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 13:33:23 -0400
Cole Robinson <crobinso at redhat.com> wrote:

> Granted, the user's conclusion in the first situation is bogus, but if
> someones first interaction with the new system is confusion and
> unnecessary readjustment of long held interface expectations, it's
> going to cause a lot of friction and ill will. Obviously some
> expectations will be invalidated, but limiting this should be a high
> priority IMO.

Actually all you need to keep the user happy is that "service foo
status" returns correctly whether the service is using classic init or
systemd. systemctl does much more than the classic service command, so
the different syntax there is needed to make all commands consistent.

The only nitpick I may have is the use of foo.service instead of
"service foo", because when I query/enable/do something, I do that for
a service not for the file that defines the service. But this is mostly
a matter of semantics.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York