[HEADS-UP] systemd is now the default init system in rawhide

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Jul 27 00:45:35 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-07-24 at 03:26 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> Heya,
>
> I have just uploaded a new systemd and a new upstart package which make
> systemd the default init system for Rawhide. The scheme I followed makes
> sure that in case systemd actually breaks systems there is an easy path
> back to upstart. And here's how it works:

Aside from the noted conflict, I see this in the build logs for the
20100726 nightly live
(http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/desktop/logs/20100726.15-x86_64.log ):

  Installing: systemd-units                ################### [ 113/1075]/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.3xbHei: line 11: /bin/ln: No such file or directory
ln -s '/lib/systemd/system/getty at .service' '/etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty at tty1.service'
ln -s '/lib/systemd/system/getty at .service' '/etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty at tty2.service'
ln -s '/lib/systemd/system/getty at .service' '/etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty at tty3.service'
ln -s '/lib/systemd/system/getty at .service' '/etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty at tty4.service'
ln -s '/lib/systemd/system/getty at .service' '/etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty at tty5.service'
ln -s '/lib/systemd/system/getty at .service' '/etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty at tty6.service'
ln -s '/lib/systemd/system/prefdm.service' '/etc/systemd/system/graphical.target.wants/prefdm.service'
ln -s '/lib/systemd/system/getty.target' '/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/getty.target'
ln -s '/lib/systemd/system/rc-local.service' '/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/rc-local.service'
ln -s '/lib/systemd/system/remote-fs.target' '/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/remote-fs.target'

Looks like it's missing a Requires(post), I guess.

It also doesn't seem that systemd is yet kicking in as the default for
the live builds. Even though the installed systemd-units package is
systemd-units-4-3.fc14.x86_64 , indicating a version new enough to be
intended to be the default was available, systemd-units is the *only*
systemd package installed, and upstart-sysvinit-0.6.5-7.fc14 is
installed, so it seems upstart still gets to be the default. Not sure if
that's another packaging issue, or just that the live spin kickstart
file needs to be changed.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey