systemd (Was Re: tmpfs for strategic directories)

shmuel siegel fedora at shmuelhome.mine.nu
Tue Jun 1 05:53:31 UTC 2010

On 6/1/2010 5:45 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> Guys, nobody wants to take away configuration options. You can edit the
> .service files too, and readjust things. You can even plug in shell
> scripts here and there and wherever it suits you.
>
> There are not plans to make configuration of systemd depndent on gcc or
> gdb. That is completely made up.
>
> Lennart

Experience in Fedora says that radical changes, even when they achieve
their goals, come at a cost. Let us say that we accept your main
premises: systemd will be much faster, much more reliable, and a better
expenditure of system resources. What we haven't seen from you is a list
of what will be lost.
1) Is there anything that currently works which will suddenly stop
working? (I am reminded of the cups discussion)
2) Are there tools that will be needed that don't exist yet (or worse,
won't exist when systemd is rolled out).
3) Has there been a trial phase with system admins who don't frequent
this list or your blog? They are likely to have needs that you haven't
anticipated.
4) Is systemd compatible with the functionality of a rescue disk? (I am
fishing because I don't know what to expect)