-upstart subpackage vs tranditional initscripts

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Wed Jun 2 18:43:10 UTC 2010

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> We wanted to make the transition from sysv to systemd very easy, and I
> think this is the simplemost scheme we could come up with. During a
> transition period packages should just ship both files and it'll work
> with both init systems.

s/systemd/upstart/
This is not the first time this has been said.

Even though there may not be an initiative to switch from sysv to
upstart, why do you feel so strongly that people will switch from sysv
to systemd? Are you going to implement a Fedora policy that bans sysv,
say, in Fedora 16? That's about the only way you could make it happen.

If you can make everyone move away from sysv to something else, then by
all means I'll do my best to aid in patches, but I don't have much
confidence since everything that has been said about systemd has been
said of upstart a few years ago. Instead of reinventing the wheel time
and time again, there are other features that deserve attention.